Tuesday, January 16, 2018

3A - Your Entrepreneurship Story

In about September of last year, I met with a young, local entrepreneur here in Gainesville. We went out have coffee in downtown and spoke about our entrepreneurial ventures. I haven't officially started the business I wanted to start so I asked him about his businesses and how he got started. He owns a men's suit store that sells custom-tailored suits. Seeing as I wanted to start an activewear brand, he was a good entrepreneur to talk to. Over the hour we spoke, he really opened my eyes to using my resources around me. He started his company without spending any money and he coached me on how to do the same. For example, I told him how I wanted to hire a professional designer to design my products, create the patterns, and manufacture them. He then suggested that I could get a student to do my designs for free in exchange for putting his/her name out there. He really made me rethink my venture and I will definitely use his suggestions when I decide to start my brand.

I enrolled in ENT 3003 to learn more about entrepreneurship to benefit me in my future outside of college.


2 comments:

  1. I think it’s amazing that you sought out an entrepreneur that was in an industry that you had an interest in. The fact that he took the time to sit down with you and even give you ideas about how you could save money in creating your business is great. I definitely think the advice that he gave you about having a student create your designs was smart and would save your company a lot of money. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding a mentor with a successful business in the industry you want to venture in will be invaluable. The advice he has given you is very smart as you can find talented individuals here at UF without hiring a designer. I also hope to learn skills in this class that will help me in the real world as I know I would like to be an entrepreneur in the future.

    ReplyDelete